Health education comes alive in our five spacious theaters. Participants are able to see and hear larger-than-life electronic displays, audio-visual presentations, and explore interactive models. The multi-sensory input experience of our classrooms not only improves retention, but it does it in an exciting and unique way. Consider our classrooms a resource available for your students in central Illinois and an interesting experience with few facilities like it in the Midwest.
Our classrooms include:
We also have special theme months! Throughout the year, Hult focuses on three different areas in addition to our regular classes. Additional activities and take-home materials add to our presentation, making it more fun to learn for you and your students. Call and register for these special programs offed only during these months.
We are proud to offer the following programs on location at the Hult Center for Healthy Living. For a list of our signature programs that can go on the road and be implemented in your classroom, visit our Outreach Health Education Page.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? To see about a program designed specifically for your audience, please contact Holly at (309) 692-6650 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Health Education Programs:
- My Special Body: Pre-K to 1. *Please note-program is only available in March and can be scheduled for your group here* Preferred class size is no more than 24 students. Students rotate to different learning centers for hands-on multisensory learning. Topics include heart, lungs, brain and the 5 senses. (60 minutes)
- Dental Healthy Partners: Grades Pre-K to 1. *Please note-program is only offered in February for Dental Health Month, schedule here!* Topics include: proper brushing and flossing techniques, food groups, healthy vs unhealthy snacks, importance of regular dental checkups, hands-on brushing and flossing stations that utilize dental models. Each child will also receive his or her own dental health bag including a new toothbrush, toothpaste and dental floss! (45 minutes)
- Safe Kids, Smart Kids: Grades K to 2. Safe Kids, Smart kids is provided in collaboration with the Peoria Humane Society. Students will learn basic safety information from the Hult Center staff, and animal safety information from the Peoria Humane Society, who will teach students how dogs and cats communicate and why they may bite or scratch. A discussion and demonstration on how to avoid bites will be included, along with a chance to meet a friendly therapy dog through the Peoria Humane Society’s Education Department. Topics include: animal safety, safety in the home, stranger danger, how to say “no”, getting help in an emergency (60 minutes) Safe Kids, Smart Kids can be scheduled by clicking here.
- Super Kids: Grades K-1. Topics include: uniqueness of each individual, food groups, dental health, healthy behaviors, skeletal system, getting along with others (60 minutes)
- Food, Fitness & FUN: Grades 2 to 3. Topics include: healthy vs. unhealthy foods, portion sizes, and media’s impact on food. Students will also learn the importance of exercise in a fun, heart-healthy activity to raise their heart rates. (90 minutes)
- Healthland: Grades 2 to 3. Topics include: criteria for making healthy decisions, healthy habits, food groups, dental health, five senses and how to care for them. (60 minutes)
- Healthy Adventure: Grades 3 to 4. Topics include: cells, organs & body systems, digestive system and healthy nutrition, care and respect for the human body. (90 minutes)
- Heart Adventure: Grades 4 to 5. *Please note-program is only available from September 26, 2016 through October 7, 2016 and can be scheduled for your group here* Topics include: cells, organs & body systems, with a focus on the respiratory and circulatory systems. Students will have the opportunity to run, scoot and dribble their way through the “Heart Adventure challenge course” where students are encouraged to raise their heart rate as they are racing through a series of tubes designed to show the flow of blood through the body. (90 minutes)
- Fueling Around: Grades 5 to 9. Topics include: importance of fiber and calcium, healthy vs unhealthy fats, nutrient dense vs empty calorie foods, portion sizes, food labels, maintaining a healthy weight, and the importance of exercise. This program engages student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (90 minutes)
Substance Abuse Education Programs:
- Drugs: Choice or Chance: Grades 4 to 5. Topics discussed include tobacco, alcohol and marijuana. Also teaches students how to deal with peer pressure. This program engages critical thinking and student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (90 minutes)
- Decisions: It’s Up to You: Grades 8 to 12. Topics include addiction, consequences of drug use, including alcohol, marijuana and current drugs in the news; how to deal with peer pressure. This program engages critical thinking and student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (90 minutes)
- Generation Rx: Grades 9 to 12. Impact of prescription drugs on the body, dangers of prescription drug use/abuse, opioids, CNS depressants, stimulants, over-the-counter drugs. Students also learn about the dangers of mixing alcohol and prescription drugs through an interactive activity. This program engages student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (45 minutes)
- Steroids & Supplements in Sports: Grades 6 to 12. A competitive “game” using interactive Turning Technologies© remotes; students learn and answer competitive questions about anabolic steroids, supplements, diet and exercise. (45 minutes)
Family Life Education Programs: The Hult Center provides a variety of comprehensive, age-appropriate sexual health education to all grades levels. Our most popular programs are listed below. However, one of our Certified Health Education Specialists can work with you to design a program to fit the needs of your students. Please contact us to design your school’s sexual health education programs, if needed.
- Michelle: Girls only. Grades 4 to 5. Uniqueness of all individuals, female pubescent changes, female reproductive system, feminine hygiene products. (90 minutes)
- Matthew: Boys only. Grades 4 to 5. Uniqueness of all individuals, male pubescent changes, male reproductive system, masculine hygiene products. (90 minutes)
- Co-Ed Puberty: Grades 5-6. Uniqueness of all individuals, pubescent changes, reproductive systems, hygiene products.
- Life Begins: Grades 6-8. Introduction to genetics, male and female reproductive systems, fertilization, conception, fetal growth and development, childbirth, abstinence (90 minutes)
- The ABCs of STDs: Grades 6 to 12. What everyone should know about sexually transmitted diseases. Topics include: modes of transmission, risk factors, prevention, personal responsibility, signs, symptoms and treatment of bacterial and viral STDs including HIV. This program engages student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (45-60 minutes)
The educators at the Hult Center for Healthy Living would be happy to help you choose and schedule the curriculum that fits the age group and needs of your students. Call the Hult Center for Healthy Living at 309-692-6650.