Contact us at: (309) 692-6650 or email@example.com for more info, fees, and scheduling.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? To see about a program designed specifically for your audience, please contact Holly at (309) 692-6650 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Health Outreach Programs:
- Your Amazing Body!: Pre-K. Your Amazing Body! is a five-part series that highlights the wonders of the human body. Our professional health educators will provide four programs on-site in each classroom. Programs will emphasize the brain, heart, lungs, and teeth. Following the on-site component of the program, students will come to the Hult Center where education comes alive in our teaching theaters. Lessons will be reinforced and student interest will be captured by larger-than-life displays, and interactive models that can be explored. Students will meet Mary the Mandible, TAM (our Transparent Anatomical Manikin), and Mr. Seemore Bones. This multisensory approach is designed to enhance overall retention of the material. All programs will be approximately 30 minutes in length and utilize methods and materials appropriate for the pre-school child. Teachers will be provided with materials to use in the classroom after the program to reinforce the lessons. Hult Center staff will conduct a knowledge-based pre- and post-assessment on a random sample of students to measure program effectiveness and learning outcomes.
- Your Hardy Heart: Pre-K. Students will learn all about their hardy heart and its incredible talents in this prop-driven program. Students have the opportunity to listen to their own heart beat with the use of stethoscopes and learn why their heart beats faster when they exercise. Focus is placed on keeping your heart healthy. (30 minutes)
- Your Lovely Lungs: Pre-K. Students will learn all about their lovely lungs in this fun, interactive program. Students will learn how strong their lungs really are through activities and exercise, and how to keep their lungs healthy by never smoking. They will even see the true effects of tobacco with our REAL pig lungs! (30 minutes)
- Your Beautiful Brain: Pre-K. Students will learn all about their beautiful brain and five senses in this fun, interactive program. They will participate in multisensory activities such as “feely bags” to explore their sense of touch, and “rattle boxes” to test their sense of hearing. Focus is placed on keeping your brain healthy. (30 minutes)
- Tooth or Consequences: Grades Pre-K to 1. Proper brushing and flossing techniques, food groups, healthy vs. unhealthy snacks, importance of regular dental checkups. Each child will also receive his or her own dental health bag including a new toothbrush, toothpaste and dental floss! (35 minutes)
- Healthy Kids, Healthy Classrooms (HKHC): 4th-6th grade. Students use Turning Technologies© response system to answer a series of questions about: nutrition, exercise, substance abuse, tobacco, puberty, and social/emotional health. After Hult staff reviews the students’ results, three targeted interventions are provided to the students that focus on their two areas of greatest need. Following the interventions, the students complete a post-test to assess knowledge gain and positive behavior change as a result of the program. (5 sessions, 60-90 minutes each)
- Fueling Around: Grades 5 to 9. Importance of fiber and calcium, healthy vs. unhealthy fats, nutrient dense vs. empty calorie foods, portion sizes, food labels, maintaining a healthy weight, importance of exercise. This program engages student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (45-60 minutes)
- Breast Cancer Awareness (BSA): Grades 9 to 12. Incidence, risk factors, anatomy and physiology, normal changes, signs and symptoms, breast self-exam (technique). This program engages student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (45 minutes)
- Testicular Cancer Awareness (TSA): Grades 9 to 12. Incidence, risk factors, anatomy and physiology, signs and symptoms, testicular self-exam (technique). This program engages student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (45 minutes)
Family Life Outreach Programs:
- Michelle: Girls only. Grades 4 to 5. Uniqueness of all individuals, female pubescent changes, female reproductive system, and feminine hygiene products. (90 minutes)
- Matthew: Boys only. Grades 4 to 5. Uniqueness of all individuals, male pubescent changes, male reproductive system, and hygiene products. (90 minutes)
- Life Begins: Grades 5 to 8. Introduction to genetics, male and female reproductive systems, fertilization, conception, fetal growth and development, childbirth and abstinence. (90 minutes)
- The ABCs of STDs: Grades 6 to 12. What everyone should know about sexually transmitted diseases- Modes of transmission, risk factors, signs, symptoms and treatment of major types including HIV, possible consequences, prevention and personal responsibility. This program engages student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (45-60 minutes)
- RUaTruFriend?: Grades 6 to 8. Students will learn how to recognize healthy vs. unhealthy relationships, dating abuse & violence and refusal skills. This program engages student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (45-60 minutes)
- Teen Talk: Grades 9 to 12. Typically combined as a two-day outreach program with “ABCs of STDs,” the “Teen Talk” program discusses teen pregnancy, as well as other student-driven topics. The students are combined in groups to discuss how they would handle real-life situations in dealing with prescription drugs, date rape, mental health concerns and more. Emphasis is placed on seeking resources in the community for each of the scenarios. (45 minutes)
Substance Abuse Outreach Programs:
- Sly’s Unwise Surprise: Grades Pre-K to 2. Tobacco products, harmful effects of smoking, wise vs. unwise choices, how to say “no.” (35 minutes)
- Tar Wars: Grades 4 to 6. Tobacco, nicotine, tar and carbon monoxide, impact on heart and lungs, REAL pig lungs, smokeless tobacco, peer pressure, and assertive refusal skills. This program engages student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (45-60 minutes)
- LifeSkills Training: Grades 5 to 8. Comprehensive, evidence-based curriculum for educating youth about the harmful effects of tobacco and substance abuse. Focuses on all of the most important factors that lead adolescents to use one or more drugs by teaching them a combination of health information, general life skills, and drug resistance skills. Examples of these sessions are: Making Decisions, Smoking: Myths and Realities, Alcohol: Myths and Realities, and Communication Skills. This program engages student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (5 sessions, 45-60 minutes each) Click here for a sneak peek at this program!
- Steroids & Supplements in Sports: Grades 6 to 12. A competitive “game” using interactive Turning Technologies© remotes; students learn and answer competitive questions about anabolic steroids, supplements, diet and exercise. (45 minutes)
- Generation Rx: Grades 8 to 12. Impact of prescription drugs on the body, dangers of prescription drug use/abuse, opioids, CNS depressants, stimulants, over-the-counter drugs. Students also learn about the dangerous and sometimes fatal consequences of mixing alcohol and prescription drugs through an interactive activity. This program engages student interaction through Turning Technologies© response system. (45 minutes)
Mental Health Outreach Programs
- Youth Mental Health Matters: Grades 6-9.This program is provided through collaboration between the Hult Center for Healthy Living and the Center for Prevention of Abuse to provide mental health education and awareness for students. The program covers a variety of mental health topics and also provides the opportunity for students to request additional counseling services. Sessions vary by grade level and include a variety of topics:
- 6th grade: Two day program covering the topics of anger management, conflict resolution, & bullying
- 7th grade: Two day program covering the topics of suicide & depression
- 8th grade: Three day program covering the topics of self-esteem, body image & eating disorders, as well as self-reflection & trust building
- 9th grade: Two day program covering the topics of bullying, depression, addiction, positive coping skills, & cyber-bullying
One important component of the program is the provision of an outreach mental health counselor who acts as a “safety net” for students who indicate a need for counseling. This mental health counselor works with school counselors to ensure that any students who are struggling will get the help they need.
- Social Emotional Learning: Grades 1-6. This program is customizable for each school and utilizes the PATHS (Promoting Alternative THinking Strategies) curriculum to provide age-appropriate education in a variety of topics in order to promote social and emotional competence and reduce behavior problems in young children. Areas of focus vary by grade level and include a variety of topics including: building empathy, emotion management, problem solving, manners, friendship skills, self-control, enhancing organizational skills, respecting others, and bullying prevention. Number and length of sessions varies by school.
What teachers have said about the Hult Center for Healthy Living’s programs:
“This was excellent! The participation by students makes it more interesting for the classes. I am very impressed…The program seems to get better every year.”
“I liked the focus on ‘smart decisions.’ We talk about this at school…I liked all the student involvement…The presenter was well-prepared and varied the program with exercises for both body and mind.”
“I like how the programs have progressed over the years. Your whole operation at Hult is very professional and well done. THANKS!”