Two Bean Enchilada Casserole
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 can no-salt-added tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 3/4 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz)
- 1 can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz)
- 3/4 c chopped green sweet pepper (1 medium)
- 1/2 c chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 can diced green chile peppers, undrained (4 oz)
- 9 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into wedges
- 2 c shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- Sliced lettuce (optional)
- Sliced olives (optional)
- Chopped tomato (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in tomato sauce, broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cinnamon. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for one minute more. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine black beans, pinto beans, sweet pepper, onion and chile peppers. Set aside.
- Coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1/3 c of tomato sauce mixture on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Layer one-third of the tortillas on top of the sauce. Top with one-third of the bean mixture.
- Spread one third of remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle 2/3 c of cheese.
- Repeat layers twice, starting again with tortillas. Save the final 2/3 c of cheese on the side.
- Cover baking dish with foil. Bake for 35 min.
- Sprinkle with reserved 2/3 c of cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, about 10 min more or until cheese melts.
- Top with lettuce, olives and/or tomato as desired.
Recipe from http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/263731/two-bean-enchilada-casserole/